In 2012, MATRIX [New Music Centre] celebrates its 10th birthday. Since its opening in 2002, MATRIX had grown to be a important documentation centre on music composed since 1950, holding a unique collection of over 24.000 scores and 13.000 audio recordings. The collection is the point of departure for two other areas of activity: musical heritage and educational activities. To celebrate this 10th anniversary, MATRIX published “Getekende Klanken”: a publication on the most important graphic scores from our collection.
Getekende Klanken is available in Dutch only. It contains articles on works by Luciano Berio, John Cage, Cornelius Cardew and Earle Brown. Contributions by Rebecca Diependaele, Pauline Driesen and Jan Christiaens.
You can pick up your free copy of Getekende Klanken at the MATRIX documentation centre. We can also send it to you, but then shipping costs will be charged for each ordered copy (Belgium: € 3, Europe: € 6, rest of the world: € 8).
Publication series 'Contemporary Music in Flanders'
In 2004, MATRIX published the first volume of the series Contemporary Music in Flanders. Each volume covers one specific genre and consists of a detailed inventory, a major essay, some articles about particular works. The Flanders Music Centre provided volumes 1 to 5 with a CD.
Recently published: Volume 7: Flemish Chamber Music since 1950
With a introductory essay and articles on compositions by Dirk Blockeel, Roland Coryn, Jean Louel, Frederik Neyrinck, Eric Sleichim, Thomas Smetryns, Piet Swerts, Jan Van Landeghem, Annelies Van Parys and Wilfried Westerlinck. + CD!
A digital version of all publications can be downloaded from the following links. From the fifth volume on, a Dutch version of the text is also made available (digital version only).
- Volume 1: Flemish_String_Quartets_since_1950.pdf
- update of the inventary of volume 1: alfabetically and chronologically (2008)
- Volume 2: Flemish_Piano_Music_since_1950.pdf
- Volume 3: Flemish_Symphonic_Music_since_1950.pdf
- Volume 4: Flemish_Ensemble_Music_since_1950.pdf
- Volume 5: Flemish_Music_Theater_since_1950.pdf
- Volume 6: Flemish_Tape_Music_since_1950.pdf
- Volume 7: Flemish_Chamber_Music_since_1950.pdf.pdf
- Volume 5: Vlaamse_Opera_en_Muziektheater_na_1950.pdf
- Volume 6: Tape_Muziek_in_Vlaanderen_sinds_1950.pdf
- Volume 7: Kamermuziek_in_Vlaanderen_sinds_1950.pdf
The first 2 volumes are out of print. You can pick up your free copy of volumes 3 to 6 at the MATRIX documentation centre. We can also send it to you, but then shipping costs will be charged for each ordered copy (Belgium: € 3, Europe: € 6, rest of the world: € 8).